DINOS™: A Manifesto
It is our position that DINOS (Dogs in Need of Space)™ are good dogs with the right to enjoy walks in public without the harassment of other dogs and their people.
Therefore we demand the following from our fellow dog lovers:
- Obey Leash Laws: Outside of a dog park, or otherwise sanctioned off-leash area, you must leash your dogs. This is not our opinion, it’s the LAW.
- Ask Permission Before Approaching: Stop moving and ask, “Is your dog friendly?” or “Can my dog say hi?”
- Listen to our Response: Give us time to respond. And no means no.
- Respect Our Space: If we move to the side, so that you can pass, do not let your dog approach us. Please shorten their leash and continue walking. It’s not rude, promise.
- Do Not Give Chase: If we abruptly turn the other way or cross the street, we do not want to interact with you or your dogs. Yes, we saw you. No we don’t want to say “hi”.
- Lock your Leashes: If you walk your dog on a retractable leash (aka a Flexi Lead), please retract and lock your leash, so that we may pass by without engaging with your dog. Better yet, skip the retractable and use a flat leash. Retractable leashes break.
- Zip it: Keep your judgments and nasty comments to yourself. One day, due to illness, trauma, or other circumstances, you too may find yourself the loving owner of a DINOS. Until you walk a (paranoid) mile in our shoes, we implore you: If you don’t have anything nice to say, just keep on walking.
- No Matter How Nice You Are, the Rules Still Apply: You may think that because you and your dogs are really nice and very dog savvy, that it’s ok for you to break these rules. Look, we believe you. You seem really nice and so does your dog. We wish we could meet you under other circumstances, but trust us, we know our dogs better than you do. We reserve the right not to interact with you, no matter how nice you are.
In return, the DINOS pledge to uphold the following standards:
- We will always leash our DINOS when out in public.
- We will muzzle our DINOS, if necessary.
- When it is possible, we will always create distance between your dog and our DINOS, so that you too can pass us without incident.
- We will tell you our dogs are DINOS. No mind reading necessary.
Subsection 4A: Don’t Deny Your Dog is a DINOS.
DINOS Deniers are wide-spread. They refuse to believe that their dog is one of the following: inappropriate, rude, or aggressive. They fool unsuspecting dog owners by saying their dogs are friendly, but in reality they are not. Typically, after an incident occurs, they admit it has happened before, as in: “I don’t know why, but my dog almost always bites when he’s at the dog park.” Stop denying the truth. You have a DINOS and you owe it to your dog and everyone else’s dog to create safe interactions. If you own DINOS, you must be responsible for understanding your dogs.
DINOS, The Time to Take Back Our Space is Now!
printer friendly pdf: DINOS Manifesto
Looking for a Kinder, Gentler Manifesto? If you’re a shelter, trainer, or just a really nice person, check out this less snarky version, with printable pdf!
DINOS: Dogs in Need of Space™
MDIF: My Dog is Friendly™
OLDS: Off Leash Dogs™
ROARS: Rovers on a Retractables™
DINOS © Copyright Jessica Dolce 2012
DINOS Dogs In Need of Space© Copyright Jessica Dolce 2012